This is a coffee table I fabricated for a designer based on an image she provided of a similar table that is no longer available. They also wanted the table in a smaller size. I welded up a fixture for heat bending all of the leg parts and then made another fixture out of mdf which I didn’t take pictures of for laying out all of the pieces.
The mdf fixture held the round plates in place while I tack welded all the leg parts into place. I fully welded the base in the fixture and then after it cooled down I removed it to reduce distortion. Once I got it all ground and sanded then I had the base powdercoated a bronze color.
This is a large coffee table base I worked on that is going to have a glass top and lower glass shelf. Both pieces of glass will rest on a flatbar ledge I created by bolting an additional flatbar to the underside of the top flatbars with an overhang and then the shelf sits on the edge of two pieces of flatbar that are bolted to the inside of each profile.
This is a simple table base I recently fabricated for a client. The top is going to be a 3/8” thick plate of glass so I trimmed the interior of the table base with 1/2” square tubing that it can rest on.
Here are some shots of the entire outdoor bar/dining area put together. For whatever reason my cell phone changed settings so all of these photos are at a really low resolution. I’m going to take much better photos next week and will post them once I do.
We went with an exterior black powdercoat finish for all of the steel and an exterior finish for all of the mahogany. The install went very smoothly. All of the posts are different heights since the grade drops so much on the brick but I maintained a consistent horizon line with the tops and bottoms of the fence.
Now all that’s left to do is have a drink and enjoy fall in New England!
So it’s been a while since I last posted. After the airing of the HGTV show I built furniture for I had a large outdoor bar/dining area project to complete. It was for an amazing restaurant in Cambridge, MA called Westbridge. Last year I built all of their table tops out of reclaimed heart pine and made several other tables with steel tube bases and recycled bowling lanes for tops.
This year we collaborated to create a new outdoor dining/bar area for the outside of their restaurant. It all had to be made so it could break down easily for storage during the winter. We also weren’t allowed to secure the fence posts to the ground so after a bunch of different ideas I came up with the idea of welding the posts to I-beam sections which I then welded to heavy 3/4” thick plates. This industrial look fit well with the overall design of the interior of their restaurant.
This first post shows all of the work that went into creating all of these pieces. In total there was one large bar at 12’-6” long, one communal table at 12’ long, 3 standing tables at 5’ long that attach to the fence posts and eleven sections of fence mounted on twelve posts. It was a ton of work but the end result was beyond rewarding.
This is a follow up to my last post where I showed the process behind making this desk. Now here’s the desk all finished and put together.
The legs got a blackening patina with a top coat of wax. The top received what is called a cerused finish which means the top got stained a medium walnut-ish color and then sealed. Then the top got a wash of gray which gets worked into the grain and then wiped back. After that the entire top gets a clear lacquer top coat. It creates this great effect that really only works in open grain woods like oak and ash.
This is a desk I’ve been working on recently for a designer. The top is fairly involved since I needed to make a 2-1/2” top that was dimensionally stable and didn’t weigh hundreds of pounds.
In this instance I made a torsion box core out of half lapped poplar which I then glued a 1/2” thick layer of mdf to the top and bottom of. After that I had to edge the torsion box with solid white oak. Once edged I then veneered the top and bottom with a 1/16” white oak veneer. The flitch I bought was very wide so I was able to stitch the top out of 3 bookmatches pieces.
The base is a pair of steel flatbar legs that wrap around the edges and ends of the top. The top is getting a cerused finish and I’m going to patina and blacken the legs.
This is a kitchen prep table I recently finished for a client. Several years ago I made them a dining table with this base design I came up with and they wanted me to make a similar table for their kitchen.
The top is a solid maple butcher block and the base is powdercoated steel tubing and sheet metal that I fabricated.
This is a window I made for a restaurant in Cambridge called Westbridge. They wanted a window put into their kitchen door so their staff could open the door safely.
I had the frame powdercoated and then installed it by cutting an opening in their existing door panel and thru-bolting the frame.
This project is a large and quite heavy stainless steel firepit/patioflame cabinet I made recently. The client wanted to use a linear patioflame unit that runs off a propane tank. The challenge was fitting the pationflame unit with it’s enclosure into the cabinet while also having a storage area for the propane tank.
There are also two slabs of stone that fit into the long opening on the top that I didn’t have a chance to photograph. Also I made a cradle to hold the propane tank since I had to mount it horizontally and there wasn’t enough clearance within the cabinet for it to stand upright.
The finish is a random sanded finish which I then passivated to clean the stainless thoroughly.